This kimchi jeon is jam packed with kimchi, scallions, peppers, and lots of squid! It light, crispy and perfect with a glass of makkeolli on a rainy day like today.
I usually like to use pork butt but I’ve been cutting back on meat so I used squid this time! Any other seafood like shrimp and oysters would work too.
When I was testing this recipe, I noticed my kimchi jeon came out really salty so I washed about half the kimchi to adjust the saltiness.
Pro tip – don’t over mix the batter or else it will result in a chewy / bready texture!
Kimchi Seafood Pancake (Kimchi Jeon)
- 2 cups kimchi
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 2 cups Korean pancake mix or substitute with 1:1 flour & potato starch
- 1 long green pepper
- 2 scallions
- 8 oz squid
- 1 tbsp coarse gochugaru Korean red pepper powder
- 1 tbsp fine gochugaru Korean red pepper powder
- cooking oil
- Wash half the kimchi and drain. Place all the kimchi in a bowl and cut into small pieces with scissors.
- Chop the scallions and long green pepper.
- Slice the squid into small chunks.
- Combine the scallions, peppers, and squid with the kimchi. Mix together well.
- Add coarse gochugaru, fine gochugaru, sugar, Korean pancake mix, and water. Gently stir to avoid over mixing.
- Heat a large skillet with 2-3 tbsp of oil. Add the batter and spread it out thinly.
- While the pancake is cooking, swirl the pan so the oil gets evenly distributed underneath.
- When the edges start to crisp up, flip the pancake and cook for 1-2 minutes or until done.
- Plate and serve immediately!
Pin & save this recipe for later!