I’m going to show you how to make the most flavorful, umami-rich seafood Korean soft tofu stew also known as haemul soondubu jjigae!
I went clamming the other day and was so excited when I found over 4 dozen clams that were the size of my fist. When I brought them home and cooked them, they ended up being like rubber and as tough as shoe leather. Clams can get real rubbery when they’re overcooked but I took them out of the heat as soon as they opened so I knew, for a fact, that these weren’t.
There was absolutely no way I could eat them whole so I blended up the large clam meat with some broth and used it in the soup base for soondubu jjigae. Let’s just say it was the most flavorful and delicious soondubu I’ve EVER had!
Every bite was a seafood flavor bomb so if you’re a seafood lover like me, you have to try this recipe! It’s spicy, hot, refreshing and clammy!!
Seafood Soondubu Jjigae
- 1/4 cup zucchini chopped
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 scallions chopped, whites and greens separated
- 1 chili pepper sliced, optional
- 1/4 cup gochugaru Korean red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/4 cup squid cut into bite-sized pieces, substitute with your favorite seafood
- 8 oz silken tofu
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce adjust to taste
- 1 egg
- 4-6 small clams little neck clams
Anchovy Clam Broth
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 8 dried anchovies innards removed
- 1 oz dried kelp or kombu
- 1/4 medium sized onion
- 4-6 large clams little neck clams
- Let's prepare the anchovy clam broth. In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add dried anchovies, dried kelp, and onion. Cook for 20 minutes until the broth has reduced by half. Toss in the large clams and boil until they've opened up.
- Remove the clams and transfer the clam meat into a blender with 2 tbsp of broth. Blend until it forms a wet paste.
- Strain the broth and set aside.
- In a heavy duty pot, like an earthenware pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add the white part of scallions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting, then add gochugaru and make sure to consistently stir for 2-3 minutes to prevent the chili flakes from burning.
- Add the blended clam meat and anchovy clam broth. Stir and mix everything together well.
- Toss in the zucchini, onions, garlic, and fish sauce. Let this boil for 2-3 minutes.
- When the veggies are tender, add squid, small clams, and silken tofu. Gently break the tofu apart with a spoon.
- Top with an egg and garnish with the green part of scallions and peppers!
Pin & save this recipe for later!