Tteokbokki is one of the most popular Korean street foods. It’s a sweet, salty, spicy and delicious treat!
Tteokbokki Spicy Rice Cake
- 1 lb rice cakes
- 6 oz fish cake sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- 4 cups water
- 7-8 dried anchovies innards removed
- 1 dried kelp or kombu
- 2 tbsp gochujang regular or spicy Korean red pepper paste
- 2 tbsp coarse gochugaru Korean red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp fine gochugaru Korean red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- In a pot, toast the dried anchovies for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Add the water and dried kelp, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Combine the gochujang, coarse gochugaru, fine gochugaru, soy sauce, light brown sugar, and peanut butter. Mix together well.
- In a large pot, add the broth, rice cakes, and sauce mixture. Stir the sauce until fully combined.
- Once the rice cakes come to a boil, add the cabbage and scallions.
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the sliced fish cakes and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin & save this recipe for later!