This sweet and salty crispy corn is super crunchy and addicting! It’s my new favorite movie snack, and they’re also great as toppings for oatmeal, ice cream, yogurt, and more! They kind of remind me of Frosted Flakes with a more pronounced corn flavor and less sweetness.
It’s super easy to make, and they’re amazing to snack on!
Why you’ll love this recipe
You might be surprised to discover that frying canned sweetcorn is possible, and the results are simply phenomenal. The trick is to coat it with cornstarch and rice flour to give it its crispy texture, making it more fun to eat! The combination of sugar and salt also creates a perfect balance to keep you wanting more.
I like to add an extra sprinkle of sugar and salt after frying so the crispy corn directly gives you a burst of flavor once it hits your tongue.
I also added them to my Corn Ice Cream recipe, and their flavor combination was superb! If you want to know more about where you can add these delightful snacks, I also provided some suggestions below.
How do I prepare Sweet & Salty Crispy Corn?
This crispy corn recipe should be a breeze to make. Just follow the steps below so you can enjoy your own in no time:
Step 1: Prepare the corn
Combine corn, 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Coat with cornstarch and rice flour. Add water and mix until they’re well combined and evenly coated.
Step 2: Heat the oil
In a deep pot, pour in ½ -inch of neutral oil and heat to 350°F (175°C) over medium-low heat.
Step 3: Add the corn
Carefully add the corn to the pot, making sure to work in batches if necessary.
Step 4: Fry the corn
Fry for 3-4 minutes or until the corn turns golden brown.
Step 5: Remove the corn from the heat and drain
Once all of the corn is done frying, remove them from the pot and place them onto a lined tray or plate with paper towels to drain excess oil.
Step 6: Coat with sugar
Immediately sprinkle the remaining 3 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Gently toss the corn around so they’re evenly coated.
Step 7: Serve
You can eat the crispy corn as is or top it on your favorite desserts, like ice cream. Enjoy!
Cooking Tips for Sweet & Salty Crispy Corn
To help you make sweet and salty crispy corn that’s absolutely irresistible, here are a couple of cooking tips you can keep in mind during preparation:
- For a spicy twist, add chili powder, paprika, or cayenne pepper to the coating mixture.
- Avoid using frozen corn for this recipe since its excess moisture content can make the dish soggy.
- Keep an eye on the corn when frying since they tend to burn easily. You don’t want your crispy corn to taste bitter!
- Sometimes, the corn can burst out of the oil from frying, so watch out for splatters. You can minimize this by covering your pan.
- Feel free to adjust the salt and sugar you want to add after frying. If you want your crispy corn to taste sweeter, add more sugar. If you want it saltier, add more salt.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Canned sweet corn: canned sweet corn is the essential ingredient for this recipe. Feel free to use any brand of canned sweet corn you like, or use fresh corn if you can find some.
Sugar: sugar enhances the natural sweetness of the corn. Feel free to use white or brown sugar for this recipe.
Salt: salt will balance out the sweetness of the dish.
Cornstarch: cornstarch is the base for the coating to make the corn addictingly crispy. You can substitute it with all-purpose flour, but its texture won’t be as crispy.
Rice flour: rice flour helps enhance the crunchiness of the coating. You can substitute it with potato starch or sweet potato starch.
Water: adding water to the flour mixture is optional, but it will help give the corn a thicker coating. Add a splash of water to the mixture until it forms a thick paste.
Neutral oil: any neutral oil will do well for frying the crispy corn, including vegetable, peanut, or sunflower oil.
What dishes can you add Sweet & Salty Crispy Corn to?
If you can’t get enough of this sweet & salty crispy corn recipe, here are a few dishes you can incorporate them into to elevate their flavors:
1. Yogurt – jazz up your regular yogurt snacks with a sprinkle of the crispy corn on top. Its sweet and salty flavors combine well with the smooth and sour taste of the yogurt, you’ll want to put this on repeat the whole week.
2. Oatmeal – if you’re looking for ideas to jazz up your oatmeal, make a savory dish by adding as much crispy corn as you like. For even more flavor, you can also stir in some bacon bits to complete your breakfast!
3. Vegetable salad – make your regular vegetable salads extra exciting by incorporating a ton of crispy corn. Even with the most basic combination of lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers, its sweet and salty flavors will make you want to devour each bite.
4. Ceviche – hear me out – adding crispy corn to ceviche may not be traditionally done, but it adds an enjoyable crunch that complements the succulent texture of the seafood of your choice. The sweetness of the crispy corn also balances out the acidity of the lime, making it a memorable dish you’ll want to make more often.
5. Burrito bowl – crispy corn will fit right in with the merry ingredients of a burrito bowl. I mean, why use just regular plain corn when you can jazz it up with this sweet and salty perfection?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is sweet corn the same as regular corn?
Sweet corn and regular corn come from the same species, but sweet corn has a genetic mutation that makes it store more sugar. You can find sweet corn in yellow, white, or bicolor varieties, so whichever you pick should taste great for this dish. I’m using canned sweetcorn for this recipe, but you can also definitely use fresh sweetcorn if you can access it.
Can you air fry sweet & salty crispy corn?
Absolutely! If you want your crispy corn to be less greasy, you can cook them in the air fryer. To do it, place them on the air fryer basket, ensuring they’re spread out to prevent them from sticking to each other. Allow the corn to cook at 360°F (182°C) for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Once they’re done, toss them with salt and sugar and serve immediately.
What is rice flour made of?
Rice flour is made from ground medium or long-grain rice. It’s often made with white rice, but you can also find some that use milled brown rice. Aside from using it as a coating for fried foods, you can also use it as a thickener or for baking gluten-free bread!
Why don’t the salt and sugar stick to the crispy corn after frying?
The trick to make the salt and sugar stick to the corn after frying is to sprinkle them immediately once you get them out of the pot. Since the sheen from the oil is still wet and hot, the sugar and salt mixture will adhere better. Have your salt and mixture ready when you’re frying so you can directly toss the crispy corn in after they’re fried to perfection.
Can you store Sweet & Salty Crispy Corn?
Yes, you can store leftover sweet and salty crispy corn in an airtight container. Place it in the fridge so it stays fresh for 4-5 days. Since they’re fried, expect that the corn will lose its crispiness. But you can revive its crunchy texture by re-frying it in oil for 1-2 minutes.
Looking for more easy and delicious snack recipes?
1. Chive and Egg Pockets – you no longer have to travel far to get a bit e out of these popular Chinese snacks when you can easily whip them up with this recipe. From eggs, chives, dried shrimp, and vermicelli noodles, these delightful pockets are brimmed to the top with flavor!
2. Potato Cheese Donuts – crispy and cheesy, these delightful potato donuts have everything you want in a filling snack. Once you bite into its soft mashed potato exterior, you’re met with a sweet and tender onion ring to round out the flavors!
3. Air Fryer Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken – if you’re obsessed with crispy fried chicken, you’ll love this recipe. The sweet, salty, and spicy traditional flavors are the best, but I added a secret ingredient to make this classic Taiwanese street food deliciously addicting.
4. Kimchi Nachos – level up your favorite game-day snack with this spicy recipe. It’s packed with refried beans, kimchi, cheese, and guacamole, but it’s versatile enough to add whichever ingredient you like!
5. Honey Glazed Walnuts – for a low-effort snack that’s still outrageously delicious, this recipe will hit the spot. You’ll no longer have to go to the store to replenish your snacks when you can make these sweet and crunchy walnuts any time you like!
- 1 can can sweet corn, drained
- 5 tbsp sugar, divided (adjust as needed)
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided (adjust as needed)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp water
- Neutral frying oil
- Combine corn, 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Coat with corn starch and rice flour. Add water and mix until well combined.
- In a deep pot, pour in 1/2 inch of neutral oil. Heat to 350F/175C over medium-low heat.
- Carefully add the corn, making sure to work in batches if necessary.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove onto a lined tray or plate with paper towels.
- Immediately sprinkle the remaining 3 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Gently toss the corn around so they're evenly coated.
Pin & save this recipe for later!