Today I’m sharing one of my favorite ban chan (Korean term for ‘side dish’) – 무생채. It’s a spicy radish salad the way my mom makes it. Luckily, it’s one of the easier ones to prepare!
It’s spicy, savory, and crunchy and a great side dish to have in your fridge. While this is a side dish you can enjoy with any meal, it’s most commonly served with Bossam – Korean Boiled Pork Belly. Whether you’re having this with a simple bowl of rice or an elaborate meal like bossam, this Korean radish salad is guaranteed to hit the spot!
Korean Radish Salad
- 1 lb Korean radish or daikon radish
- 1 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 2 tsp sugar divided
- 1 garlic minced
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp gochugaru Korean red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Wash and peel the Korean radish. Slice them into thin matchsticks, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the radish into a small mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Toss to combine well. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, you should see a pool of liquid at the bottom of the mixing bowl. Drain the radish then squeeze out the excess liquid. Be sure to work in batches so you get as much liquid out as possible.
- Transfer the radish into a clean mixing bowl. Toss in the garlic and scallions. Then add the fish sauce, gochugaru, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and toasted sesame seeds.
- Toss until well combined and thoroughly mixed.
- Serve and enjoy!