This Chinese style garlicky cucumber salad is a recipe everyone should know how to make because it’s such an easy side dish! I love quick and effortless side dishes like this especially for days when I don’t feel like cooking.
This recipe was inspired by Nan Xiang in Flushing, Queens. While it’s not an exact copy cat, it’s very similar and I’m so happy I can make this whenever I’m craving it at home!
Chinese Cucumber Garlic
- 5 Persian cucumbers
- 1 tsp salt
- cilantro chopped for garnish
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 1/8 tsp msg optional
- Cut the cucumbers into thirds. Then cut each third into quarters.
- Transfer the cucumbers to a bowl and add salt. Mix together well and set aside for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, place the minced garlic in a heat-proff bowl. Heat up the oil until hot and carefully pour it over the garlic.
- After 20 minutes, drain the cucumber and pat dry with a paper towel.
- To the drained and dried bowl of cucumber, add soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, black vinegar, msg and garlic oil.
- Toss everything together to combine well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- *Optional* Let the cucumber sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop