If you’re looking for a quick and tasty way to get your veggies in, this roasted red pepper shrimp pasta is the one. Ditch the pre-made supermarket pasta sauces and get ready for some serious flavor!
Whenever I make this pasta for my friends and family, they’re always surprised there’s no cream or butter in here. Instead I like to add a small amount of gochujang for some boldness and richness. It adds some umami and really rounds out the sauce! Gochujang has been making it’s way to the international stage over the past few years, and I’m here for it!
I used shrimp for this recipe, but you can swap it out for any protein of your choice including chicken, beef, or pork.
The pasta is already delicious on it’s own, but adding the toasted panko breading on top will take it to the next level. The bread crumbs add a beautiful textural element to the pasta which is my favorite part of the entire dish.
I hope you enjoy this pasta as much as I did. Excited to hear how this turned out 🙂
Roasted Red Pepper Shrimp Pasta
- 8 oz shrimp peeled + deveined
- 5 oz pasta cooked
- basil for garnish
- 3 red bell peppers roughly chopped, about 3-4 cups
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped, about 1 cup
- 8-10 garlic cloves whole
- 1 jalapeno pepper halved + deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp gochujang
- 1 tsp sugar
Toasted Panko Breading
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes optional
- 1/4 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F / 205C.
- Arrange the red bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper on a lined sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Toss to coat the vegetables.
- Roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes until vegetables are tender. Carefully trasnfer the cooked vegetables into a high speed blender with gochujang and sugar. Blend until smooth.
- In a preheated pan over medium heat, pour in the blended sauce. Once the sauce starts bubbling, add shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the shrimp is almost cooked through, add in the cooked pasta of your choice. Stir to mix everything well.
- Top with toasted panko breading and basil for garnish. Enjoy!
Toasted Panko Breading
- In a preheated pan over medium heat, pour 1 tbsp of olive oil. Stir in the panko bread crumbs and red chili flakes and mix until fully combined with the olive oil.
- Cook until the bread crumbs turn golden brown or to your desired doneness. Be sure to continue stirring so they don't burn!
- Season with salt and set aside for garnish.