I used to make this creamy sausage spinach pasta with regular ingredients all the time but I wanted to recreate this with plant based ingredients. I was so surprised how well this turned out because it almost tasted like the real thing!
The cashew cream is seriously a game changer here. It’s also a great sub for cream if you’re lactose intolerant. I couldn’t find nutritional yeast while I was testing this recipe so I made another ‘parmesan’ substitute with raw cashews! If you’re looking to incorporate more plant based ingredients in your diet, give this a try! You won’t be disappointed 🙂
Vegan Sausage Pasta
- 10 ounces penne
- 8 ounces plant based sausage casing removed
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or white wine
- 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cashew Parmesan to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 red pepper flakes
- Let's prepare the cashew cream.
- Soak the cashews in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and transfer into a blender with salt and water. Set aside.
- Next, let's prepare the cashew 'parmesan'.
- In a blender, mix raw cashews, salt, garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes. Blend into a powder.
- Moving onto the pasta! Boil a pot of water and salt it generously. Add the penne or pasta of the choice and cook until desired doneness. I like it al dente!
- In a pan, add oil and the sausage. Break up the sausage into small chunks with your spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Once browned, add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and flour. Make sure to whisk the flour into the stock.
- When the mixture has slightly thickened, add the canned tomatoes, cashew cream, spinach, salt, pepper, and cooked pasta.
- Mix until fully combined and top with cashew parmesan to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin & save this recipe for later!