If there’s one dish you should make for Valentine’s Day or a date night at home, it has to be this 15-minute rich and creamy uni pasta! This is the ultimate showstopper, panty-dropper type of meal so if you’re trying to impress, this is the one. Plus it’s straightforward to make! 😋
The richness of the uni is perfectly balanced with a delicate sweetness and hint of brininess for an incredibly unique taste. Once you have a bite of this, you’ll be OBSESSED!
Uni Pasta Recipe
- 4 oz (120 g) uni (sea urchin) plus more for garnish
- 5 oz pasta spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- 1 small shallot minced (about 1 tbsp)
- 4 garlic cloves minced (about 1 tbsp)
- 2 tsp Sambal olek optional or substitute with your choice of chili paste
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 tbsp pasta water adjust as needed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper adjust to taste
- chives or scallions finely chopped, for garnish
- In a blender or food processor, combine uni and heavy cream. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
- Prepare a pot of salted boiling water and cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Toss in the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Keep stirring and adjust the heat as needed to prevent them from browning.
- Next, add sambal (if using) and cook for another minute to create a quick chili oil.
- Pour in the sake and allow it to cook down until reduced by half.
- Toss in the cooked pasta then pour in the uni cream mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Depending on the thickness of your sauce, that will depend how much pasta water you will need to add. Start with 2 tablespoons then add one tablespoon of pasta water at a time until the sauce is to your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the pasta to serve. Garnish with extra uni and chives. Enjoy!