Treat yourself to a quick and tasty Cantonese-style fried rice with a classic ingredient – Chinese sausage or ‘lap cheong’. I’m a firm believer that Chinese sausages make everything better, especially fried rice!😋
As long as you have day-old rice and Chinese sausage, everything else is easily customizable according to your preferences! I kept it simple with online and garlic for this recipe but you can also toss in carrots, peas, broccoli, mung bean sprouts, and more!
Pro tip: Soak the sausages in hot water for 5 min so they’re easier to slice. This also melts away excess oil.
Everything comes together in just 15 minutes. If you are looking for a no-frills quick and easy weekday meal, this is one!
Lap Cheong Fried Rice
- 2 cups day old rice
- 3 lap cheong chinese sausage links
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp water
- 1/8 tsp white pepper powder
- Place the lap cheong (Chinese sausage) in a large heat-proof bowl. Pour hot boiling water over the sausages until they are fully submerged. Set aside to soak for 5-10 minutes (see note 1).
- Pull out the Chinese sausages and allow them to slighty cool before slicing into 1/4 inch thick pieces on a diagonal.
- To prepare the sauce, combine soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, water, and white pepper powder. Mix together and set aside.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 1 minute, then add garlic and sliced sausages. Stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in the rice and break it up using a spatula. Pour in the sauce and stir fry to mix well.
- Push the fried rice to one side and crack the egg. Once the egg has cooked, break it apart into small pieces with a spatula and mix it into the rice. Add scallions and sesame oil and give it one last mix.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 1. Soaking the sausage links in hot water will melt away excess oil and soften it up so it's easier to slice.