Ikura Don (Salmon Roe Rice Bowl)
- 5 oz ikura (salmon roe)
- 2-3 cups cooked rice short-grain or medium-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dashi broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sake substitute with soju or mirin
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 pieces dried kelp (kombu) 2×2 inches
- 1 dashi packet substitute with 1 tsp dashi powder
- 1 cup water
- egg yolk
- lime zest
- chopped scallions
- nori strips
- black sesame seeds
- In a small pot, combine the dashi packet and 1 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes then strain. If using dashi powder, mix with hot water and it's ready to use.
- In a small pot, combine dashi broth, soy sauce, sake, mirin, and dried kelp. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low for a gentle simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes then set aside to cool completely. Once cooled, remove the dried kelp.
- Place the ikura (salmon roe) in a small mixing bowl. Pour the cooled marinade over the ikura then set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, scoop half the amount of rice into each serving bowl. Allow the rice to slightly cool.
- After 15 minutes, strain the ikura with a fine mesh sieve. Add the ikura on top of the rice then serve with your choice of garnishes!