Spam fried rice was the very first fried rice I ever recall eating. Growing up, it was one of those humble meals that my mom would frequently prepare for my family. It’s a very simple recipe made with everyday pantry staples like rice, potatoes, salt, pepper, and Spam. I vividly remember picking out the Spam pieces because I wanted more potatoes, which was ironically my favorite part of the fried rice. What really set it apart was a drizzle of ketchup on top of the fried rice before serving. I don’t know if it’s because it’s nostalgic but I think the sweetness and tanginess of the ketchup complete the dish. If ketchup isn’t your vibe, a spoonful of chili oil will give it a flavor boost and a lil kick in your bootyhole. 😉
My recipe is an adaptation to my mother’s with the addition of eggs and scallions, which are both ingredients commonly found in fried rice. Give this a try and let me know what you think! 🙂
Easy Spam Fried Rice
- 2 cups cold day-old rice short-grain or medium-grain
- 6 oz Spam Lite half a can, if using regular Spam, reduce the amount of salt added by 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 medium potato
- 2 scallions white + greens separated
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp salt divided, adjust if needed
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp neutral oil divided
- ketchup optional
- chili oil optional
- Start by prepping the ingredients. Dice the Spam and potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Chop the scallions and keep the white and green parts separated.
- In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- In a wok or pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add beaten eggs and scramble until 90% of the way cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- In the same wok or pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Toss in the Spam and cook until browned on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same wok or pan over medium-high heat. Add the white part of the scallions and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Toss in the potatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Add the cold day-old rice and break up the rice using a spatula. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper.
- Add back in the Spam, eggs, and green part of the scallions. Toss to mix well. At this point, taste to see if additional salt and/or pepper is needed.
- *Optional* Serve with ketchup and/or chili oil. Enjoy!