Char siu but make it easy! This air fryer char siu recipe is for all my lazy potatoes out there that want restaurant quality char siu without having to put in extra time and effort. My dad, who is from Hong Kong, approved of this recipe so you know it has to be good!!
This recipe is pretty effortless starting from the sauce. I personally think using Lee Kum Kee’s char siu sauce is so much better than making the sauce from scratch. I added a few extra ingredients to the char siu sauce to make it extra tasty so I highly recommend giving this a try!
I love using the air fryer for this because it cuts down the cooking time by more than half, which is *amazing*. It only takes 12-14 minutes to cook, making this quick, easy, and approachable. Alternatively, you can cook it in the oven which will take a little more time. Bake the char siu at 425F/220C for 40-45 minutes while basting with the honey marinade every 15 minutes. Broil for 10 minutes or until charred.
Air Fryer Char Siu
- 1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder or pork belly
- 5 tbsp char siu sauce Lee Kum Kee brand
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tbsp sauce marinade from above
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp water
- Cut the pork into 1 inch thick slices. Using a fork, stab the pork on all sides to tenderize and allow the marinade to penetrate deeper.
- In a bowl, mix the sauce marinade ingredients together.
- In another bowl, set aside 2 tbsp of the sauce marinade. Add honey and water and mix well. This honey marinade will be used to baste the pork while it's cooking.
- In a Ziploc bag or container, add the pork and sauce marinade. Rub the marinade into the pork to coat well. Let it marinate in the fridge for 12-24 hours (the longer the better!).
- Preheat the air fryer at 400F/205C. Place the marinated pork in the air fryer making sure there is enough space on all sides.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then baste with the honey marinade. Flip and baste the other side. Cook for another 3 minutes. Repeat 2 more times. Cook for a total of 12 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your pork, you may need to cook it for another minute or two.
- Remove the char siu from the air fryer and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
- *Optional* Save the sauce drippings from the bottom of the air fryer pan/tray and pour it over the cooked char siu.
- Serve with jasmine rice and your favorite vegetables!
- To cook in the oven, bake the char siu at 425F/220C for 40-45 minutes while basting with the honey marinade every 15 minutes. Broil for 10 minutes or until charred.
- Feel free to substitute pork shoulder with pork belly.