Today we’re switching up the popular Korean corn cheese appetizer and turning them into fried corn cheese balls! They’re incredibly crunchy, cheesy, and the ultimate snack!
If you’ve ever tried the Korean corn cheese appetizer at Korean restaurants, you’ll know how delicious and addicting they are. They’ve become a beloved staple dish that’s often enjoyed as a side dish or ‘banchan‘ with Korean BBQ or as a snack to enjoy with drinks, also called ‘anju‘.
With that in mind, I’ve combined all the elements of the corn cheese appetizer and turned them into a fun and tasty treat you can enjoy with your friends or family!
Why you’ll love this recipe
First and foremost, the combination of sweet corn and melted cheese is a delightful contrast of flavors and textures, making it an irresistible pair.
After deep-frying to golden perfection, you’re left with a light and crispy exterior – ideal for fried food lovers. And with just one bite, you’re met with a burst of juicy corn and a gooey cheesy center.
A staple ingredient in Korean corn cheese is mayo, so to tie that into this delicious snack, I’m serving these corn cheese balls with a dipping sauce made of Japanese kewpie mayo and a dash of chili powder on top. The dipping sauce helps to cut through the greasiness and deliciously complements the corn cheese balls!
If you’re looking for the next ultimate snack, you’ve come to the right place. All you need are a few everyday pantry-friendly ingredients and 30 minutes to whip this up!
How do I prepare Corn Cheese Balls?
To make these crispy crunchy oh-so-yummy corn cheese balls, just follow these simple steps below!
Step 1: Preheat the oil
In a medium-sized pot, preheat the oil to 350F (175C). For best results, I recommend using a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the oil accurately.
Step 2: Prepare the corn
Start by draining a 14-ounce can of corn well. Next, transfer the corn to a mixing bowl. To the bowl, add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt, and sugar.
Toss until each kernel is fully coated on all sides.
Step 3: Prepare the wet ingredients
In a small mixing bowl, whisk 1 egg with cold water until well combined. Pour the egg mixture into the corn and toss to mix well.
Step 4: Assemble the corn balls
Take 2 tablespoons of the corn mixture and place a cheese cube in the center. Take another 2 tablespoons of corn to cover the cheese. Using the palm of your hands, gently squeeze the corn until it forms a round ball.
Step 5: Fry the corn balls
Using a sieve or slotted spoon, carefully lower the corn ball into the hotel oil. Fry the corn ball for 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Remove from the heat and transfer to a wire rack. Allow the excess oil to drain.
Step 6: Serve!
Serve with a side of mayo and chili powder and enjoy!
Cooking Tips for Corn Cheese Balls
To ensure the corn cheese balls come out perfect and delicious every time, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind:
- Feel free to substitute canned corn with fresh sweet corn, especially in the summer when they’re in season.
- If you find that your corn mixture is too wet, add a teaspoon of flour or cornstarch until it’s easier to work it.
- I recommend assembling and frying one corn ball at a time. They do not hold their shape well so forming the corn balls in advance will cause them to lose their shape.
- For best results, I recommend using a thermometer while frying to monitor the temperature of the oil accurately.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Canned corn: you can substitute canned corn with fresh sweet corn if they are in season. If it is off-season I recommend using canned corn.
All-purpose flour: the flour helps the egg mixture bind to the corn.
Cornstarch: the cornstarch helps create a light and crispy texture. You can substitute cornstarch with potato starch.
Salt: be sure to adjust the salt to taste!
Sugar: the sugar will add a touch of sweetness. Feel free to adjust according to your preferences.
Egg yolk: the egg yolk helps to bind all the ingredients together.
Cold water: It’s important to use cold water because it will help with the light and airiness of the corn ball.
Cheese cubes: I used a block of mozzarella cheese and cut them up into cubes. I find that it gives the best cheese pull but feel free to use any cheese you like! I recommend using cubed cheese, instead of shredded cheese – it’s easier to work with!
Neutral oil: Use a flavorless oil with a high smoke point like avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or sunflower oil.
Looking for more easy and delicious snack recipes?
Check out some of my favorites below!
1. Potato Cheese Donuts – These crispy potato cheese donuts are made with soft mashed potatoes, a sweet and tender onion ring, and a gooey cheesy center. They’re incredibly indulgent and the best way I can describe them is like a warm hug!
2. Chive and Egg Pockets – These chive and egg pockets or boxes are very popular Chinese snacks and appetizers! They’re filled with a delicious egg, dried shrimp, and chive mixture then deep-fried to golden perfection.
3. Korean Hot Dog – This iconic Korean street food is crispy, crunchy, and absolutely delicious! My recipe is chewier, crispier, and lighter than the typical Korean corn dog.
4. Potato Cheese Pancake – This garlicky cheesy potato pancake will blow your mind. The addition of roasted garlic takes this to the next level so if you’re a garlic lover like me, I highly recommend it giving this a try!
5. Hotteok – Hotteok or Korean sweet pancakes are a classic and popular street food in Korea. They’re ridiculously crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside!
Corn Cheese Balls
- 1 14 oz canned corn
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch substitute with potato starch
- 1/2 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar adjust to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 5-6 cheese cubes
- neutral oil for frying
- Preheat the oil in a medium-sized pot to 350F (175C).
- Drain a can of corn well. Then transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and salt. Using your hands, toss until every kernel is fully coated.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk 1 egg with cold water until well combined. Pour the egg into the corn and toss to mix well.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the corn mixture and place a cheese cube in the center. Take another 2 tablespoons of corn to cover the cheese. Using the palm of your hands, gently squeeze the corn until it forms a ball.
- Using a sieve or slotted spoon, carefully lower the corn ball into the hotel oil. Fry the corn ball for 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with a side of mayo and chili powder and enjoy!