Summer’s right around the corner and what better way to embrace the new season than with Vietnamese shrimp summer rolls! This is my take on the classic shrimp summer rolls but with a little twist on the inside. Rather than using raw carrots and radish, I quickly pickled them to add more flavor in each bite!
This dish is also called spring rolls, depending on where you live. Here in NYC, most restaurants label these as summer rolls and the fried version as spring rolls. No matter where you’re located, summer rolls are the perfect light meal for the warmer months.
You can’t have a summer roll without a dipping sauce and my peanut dipping sauce is the perfect accompaniment to this dish. It’s jam packed with flavor so your taste buds and I can guarantee that your taste buds will do a happy dance after each bite.
Vietnamese Shrimp Summer Rolls
- 8 large shrimp peeled + deveined
- 1 inch knob ginger sliced
- 2 small shallots halved
- 2 scallions rough chopped
- 6 sheets of rice paper
- 6 oz vermicelli noodles cooked
- 6 lettuce leaves your choice of lettuce
- 12 thai basil leaves
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 3 cups water for boiling
Pickled Carrots + Radish
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 thai chili peppers sliced
- 1/3 cup carrot julienned
- 1/4 cup daikon radish julienned
- 2 1/2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili garlic paste like sambal
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1 tsp sugar
- crushed peanuts, for garnish
- Let's begin by preparing the pickled carrots and radish.
- Start by thinly slicing the carrots and radish. Transfer to a shallow bowl or container.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and hot water until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lime juice, fish sauce, minced garlic, sliced thai chili peppers and stir to mix well. Pour the mixture over the carrot and radish. Place in the fridge while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, let's prepare the peanut sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the creamy peanut butter, hoisin sauce, hot water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic paste, grated garlic, and sugar. Mix until fully combined. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste and preferences! Finally, garnish with crushed peanuts.
- Now let's finish up the dish!
- In a pot, combine 3 cups water, sliced ginger, shallots, and scallions and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat and add the shrimp. Cover with a lid and poach for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimp into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- To assemble the summer roll, dip a sheet of rice paper into luke warm water and set it down on a cutting board or clean surface.
- Layer on the ingredients of the summer roll which include lettuce, thai basil, cucumbers, pickled carrots and radish, vermicelli noodles, and shrimp.
- Serve and enjoy with peanut sauce!
Pin & save this recipe for later!