Warm Lobster Rolls
- 2 1-1/2 lb lobster or 1lb cooked lobster meat
- 2 potato roll hot dog buns substitute with regular hot dog buns
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp Japanese Kewpie mayo substitute with regular mayo
- 2 tsp lemon juice adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest for garnish
- chives + cilantro for garnish
Seasoning Mix (Substitute with Old Bay Seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper substitute with paprika
- Place the live lobster into the freezer for 30 minutes to put them to sleep. In the meantime, bring a large stock pot with water to boil over medium-high heat. Take the lobsters out from the freezer then remove the rubber bands around the claws. At this point, they should not be moving.
- Place the lobsters into the boiling water then cover with a lid. Depending on the size of the lobsters will affect the cooking time. For reference, 1 1/2 lb lobster should take about 7 to 8 minutes to cook. Be sure to start the timer once the water comes to a boil after adding the lobsters.
- While the lobsters are cooking, prepare an ice bath by filling up a large mixing bowl with ice and cold water. Once the lobsters are done cooking, immediately transfer them to the ice bath to prevent them from overcooking.
- Once chilled, break down the lobster and separate the meat from the tail and claws. Cut the lobster tail into 1-inch thick pieces, while leaving the claws whole. Set the lobster meat aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the seasoning mix which includes celery salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well then set aside. Alternatively, you can use Old Bay Seasoning.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium-low heat. Spread 1 tsp of butter on each side of the potato hot dog bun. Toast the hot dog buns on each side until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining butter in the same pan over medium-high heat. Toss in the lobster meat and add a pinch of the spice mix. Cook for about 15 seconds while continuously stirring. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl with the cooked lobster, add mayo, lemon juice, and half of the remaining seasoning mix. Add more seasoning if needed.
- To assemble, place the lobster in the potato hot dog buns. Garnish with lemon zest, chives, and cilantro.