I’ve combined two of my favorite desserts – bubble tea and granita – and turned them into this light and refreshing summer dessert.
Grapefruit green tea is my man’s favorite bubble tea of all time and having consumed enough of it to fit an Olympic size pool, I wanted to try recreating a frozen version at home. Summertime calls for granita, so what better way than to combine the two and make a grapefruit green tea bubble tea-inspired granita? 😀
Grapefruit Green Tea Granita
- 1 1/2 cups grapefruit Juice like Tropicana Red Ruby
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp jasmine green tea leaves
- 1 cup instant tapioca pearls
- 1 tbsp simple syrup substitute with corn syrup or sugar
- fresh mint for garnish
- Place the jasmine green tea leaves in a tea pot or small heat-proof bowl.
- In a pot over medium heat, combine water and sugar, and bring to a boil. Once the sugar has fully dissolved pour the simple syrup over the tea leaves. Steep for 5 minutes.
- In a freezer-safe container, combine Tropicana Red Ruby Grapefruit Juice and tea. Cover then place in the freezer for one hour or until ice crystals form on top.
- Using a fork, scrape the ice crystals. Then place the container back into the freezer.
- Repeat until the granita is light and fluffy.
- Cook the tapioca pearls according to the package instructions. Strain then rinse under cold water. Transfer the tapioca pearls into a bowl and mix in the simple syrup.
- To assemble, place a few spoonfuls of the tapioca pearls in a serving bowl or cup. Top with a generous amount of granita. Garnish with fresh mint and enjoy!