If you’ve never bruleed sweet potatoes before, this is your sign. This is a delicious 2-ingredient dessert that’s made with oven-baked goguma or Korean sweet potatoes served with caramelized sugar on top.
This bruleed sweet potato dessert feels indulgent but is surprisingly light and not overly sweet. Plus it’s incredibly easy to make and even better with a scoop of ice cream!
Bruleed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Korean sweet potatoes also called 'goguma'
- 3-4 tbsp white sugar more if needed
- scoop of ice cream optional but highly recommended!
- Preheat your oven to 425F or 220C with the rack in the center of the oven.
- Start by cleaning the sweet potatoes using a brush or paper towel under cold running. Once clean, thoroughly dry with a paper towel.
- Next, use a fork and poke holes all around the sweet potatoes. Transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until soft and tender. To check if the sweet potatoes are cooked, stick a toothpick in the center. If it goes in all the way easily, it's ready. If there's resistance and you can't poke it all the way through, let it bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut the sweet potatoes in half length-wise. Then, generously sprinkle sugar on top of the cut side.
- Using a blow torch, carefully torch the sugar until beautifully caramelized. If you don't have a blow torch, you can also broil it on high for 1 minute or until the sugar has caramelized. Be sure to keep your eye on it so it doesn't burn!
- Allow the sugar to cool completely before serving. This is optional, but highly recommended – enjoy with a scoop of ice cream!